Francis Parker School College Application Camp
- Ran Summer 2017 (10th - 12th Grade)
About Francis Parker School:
Founded in 1912, Francis Parker School is a nationally-recognized independent/private day school. For 105 years, the School has offered a balanced, challenging and integrated educational program in academics, the performing and visual arts, and athletics.
Parker’s mission is to inspire a diverse community of independent thinkers whose academic excellence, global perspective and strength of character prepare them to make a meaningful differences in the world. For the past 57 years, Parker has offered a comprehensive Summer Program that attracts both local and international students.
Why San Diego?
Regarded often as “America’s Finest City” and considered as one of the safest cities to in which to live, San Diego is an ideal place to study in America.
As California’s 2nd largest city (only behind Los Angeles), San Diego is acknowledged widely as offering a relaxed pace of life enjoyed by a family-friendly population.
San Diego residents are accommodating to, and eager to help international students who wish to make the most of an American educational experience, regardless of length. Experience a city that offers cultural diversity, endless golden beaches, famous museums, and a variety of recreational activities.
2017 Summer Program
International Student University / College Application Preparation
For the past several summers, Parker has accepted students from the China region, all of whom take a full day of courses and activities in English-Immersion classes with American students. For the 2017 summer, we will identify and invite up to 28 international students (primarily entering the 10th, 11th and 12th grades, with entering 9th graders considered) who are planning to attend an American university or college.
Late December 2016 — Course catalogue and general information release
Mid-January 2017 — Application period begins
April 21, 2017 — Application period ends
May 1, 2017— Program acceptances transmitted by email
Before May 12, 2017 — US$1000.00 Summer Program deposit due (non-refundable)
June 9, 2017 — Balance Summer Program Payment of US$5500.00 due
July 7 or July 8, 2017 — Students’ arrival in San Diego
July 9, 2017 — Francis Parker campus tour and Program Orientation
July 10, 2017 — First day of classes
August 1, 2017 — Students return to China
2017 Program Highlights
Formally guided tours of State and Claremont Colleges:
Sample Daily Schedule
7:00 A.M. – 7:30 A.M. | BREAKFAST WITH HOMESTAY FAMILY
7:45 A.M. – 7:55 A.M. | STUDENTS TRANSPORTED BY HOME-STAY FAMILY TO PARKER’S LINDA VISTA CAMPUS IN PRIVATE CAR
8:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M. | STUDENTS ATTEND CLASSES (TYPICALLY TWO, OF TWO HOURS EACH)
12:00 P.M. – 12:30 P.M. | LUNCH
12:30 P.M. – 1:00 P.M. | FREE PERIOD
1:00 P.M. – 4:00 P.M. | WEEK 1: RECREATIONAL/TOURISM ACTIVITIES AND UNIVERSITY VISITS
1:00 P.M. – 4:00 P.M. | WEEKS 2, 3: UNIVERSITY/COLLEGE VISITS AND APPLICATION PREPARATION COURSE
4:15 P.M. – 5:30 P.M. | ADDITIONAL STUDY PERIOD, RECREATION ACTIVITIES OR STUDENTS RETURN TO THEIR HOME-STAY
6:00 P.M. – 8:00 P.M. | DINNER WITH HOME-STAY FAMILY
EVENING HOURS: HOMEWORK/NEXT DAY CLASS PREPARATIONS; OCCASIONAL EVENING FIELD TRIP TO LOCAL CULTURAL SITES
SATURDAYS AND SUNDAYS: ACTIVITIES TO INCLUDE A MIX OF CULTURAL AND RECREATIONAL ACTIVITIES WITH THE HOME-STAY FAMILY
As the Parker Summer Program for students from the China region is limited to no more than 28 students for the 2017 summer, a careful screening process for all applicants will be used. Each accepted candidate must:
- Demonstrate a strong grasp of conversational English and satisfactory English writing skills as appropriate to the student’s current grade level. (Note: English language proficiency testing may be in order as a part of the Orientation Session to assure proper course placements subsequent to enrollment and prior to the start of classes.)
- Possess the ability and willingness to participate in class discussions.
- Submit (in written English) a personal statement expressing the reasons why he/she should be accepted into the Program.
- Provide a letter of support from a teacher or school administrator who knows the student well.
- Conduct a Skype interview with the Summer Program Director or with an IEM administrator.
- Be sufficiently mature to engage in a successful home-stay arrangement.
Fees Not Included
- Round-Trip Airfare
- Visa and Visa Application Fees
- Personal Spending Money
- Supplemental Travel and Health Insurance
- Other Incidental or Misc. Expenses
Should a family elect to cancel his or her accepted child’s place in the 2017 Parker Summer Program the following refund schedule will be followed:
- Through June 15: 100% refund, except for $1000.00 deposit (resulting in a $5500.00 refund)
- Through June 26: 50% refund, except for $1000.00 deposit (resulting in a $2750.00 refund)
- After June 26: No refunds will be issued, barring extraordinary circumstances.